Recognition of prior learning (RPL) is an assessment only pathway. Its a process of recognising someones skills and knowledge whether gained through formal or informal work experiences against a partial or full qualification.
The RPL process can take from 3 months or more to complete, depending on how much time you have and how long it takes to gather all your evidence such as references, job descriptions, CV, licenses, photographs. For the majority of qualifications offered we specify evidence requirements for up to seven generic units of competency and provide the forms for you to complete such as JSAs, SWMS, emergency procedure, toolbox forms.
The RPL model may differ from person to person as it is contextulised for the learner and their experiences in industry, though will always meet the requirement of each unit of competence, however, it is desirable that you have three years experience or more in the qualification you are seeking recognition in.
Your Trainer will guide you through the RPL process and if you are struggling to understand what evidence is needed, remember you will be guided throughout the course and assessment.
What to expect during the RPL process:
- Complete part 1 and 2 of the online enrolment forms
- At enrolment complete a skills assessment for the qualification you have enrolled into
- Complete an employment history and assessment/reassessment forms
- Provide evidence to support your claims, such as a current resume, references, photgraphic evidence of your work
- Complete the self evaluation assessment, which is a series of questions for each unit
- Get your workplace supervisor to observe you by completing the third party report where appropriate
- The trainer and assessor will review your evidence and mark your responses (evidence will be reviewed against each unit of competency)
- The RTO will contact you if they require further evidence
- The RTO will advise you of the assessment outcome
- You will be issued with a digital copy of the statement of attainment or qualification testamur and record of results
- The original statement of attainment, qualificaion testamur and record of results will be sent to your home address
Benefits of RPL include:
- Nationally recognised qualification
- Defines your skills and knowledge in the industry
- Creates more work opportunities
- Demands more pay
- Cost effective
- No downtime for the employer
- May lead to a licence such as Trade Contractor, Site Supervisor, Nominee Supervisor.